Friday, July 29, 2005

Positive Thought Vibrations




I went shopping at Urban Outfitters recently, and ended up picking up one of those cheesy Urban Outfitters books that happened to be on clearance for $2.50. (You know the kind I'm talking about -- they're all very tongue in cheek style guides, when you boil them down.) This one's title? "Enough, dammit: A cynic's guide to finally getting what you want out of life."

Forgive me for succumbing to buying a self-help book from fucking Urban Outfitters of all places, but come on, it was only $2.50. I expected it to be something I plowed through once and forgot about, and possibly gave to someone as a Christmas gift, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Blown away, even. The book is divided into a series of "life lessons" based on what the writer describes as "serious, complicated life theories (from Modern Cognitive Psychology, Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Sociology, Biology, Eastern Philosophy, Darwinism, Quantum Physics, the Zen of Enchiladas...and then some.)"

Sounds like bullshit, right? Right.

Well.

Here's the portion that impressed me:

Life Lesson #6

You recognize there are also spiritual and scientific reasons why negative thinking brings negative life circumstances.

Luckily you can also sum all them up in one simple sentence: Many Spiritual Theorists and Quantum Physicists believe that thoughts are a form of vibrating energy that attract similarly vibrating energy fields (i.e. people and circumstances) accordingly.

Luckily you can also sum all that up in a simple metaphor: Thoughts work like magnets. You attract what you think.

Hence: Synchronicity exists. Nothing is random.

Interestingly, many Spiritual Theorists and Quantum Physicists also believe that if you consistently think positive thoughts you will not only attract more positivity...you will raise your thought frequency to what some call Spirit Energy...and some call Higher Consciousness...a level so high in vibration that it supposedly connects to the energy of the entire universe...or what Albert Einstein called "Infinite Intelligence"...what Einstein believed to be a humongous invisible thought ocean where all the answers you've ever tried to look for can be found.


Ok, despite the fact that it's irritating that the author chooses to capitalize "Spiritual Theorists" and "Quantum Physicists," HOLY SHIT.

Seriously, think about this for a minute. Yes, it's new age-y. Yes, it sounds hokey. But (and fine, I'm placing my trust in a self help book I bought at hipster ground zero) no less a mind than Einstein bought it.

This was an epiphany for me. One of those moments where you can almost hear the click.

Positive thoughts are good for your life. Not that that's such a difficult concept to grasp, but, um, science confirms this.

I needed a real impetus to stop being so negative. I needed to improve my life. What more can one ask for?

And amazingly, I think it's working. I feel much more content lately. (Although that could just be the positive thinking.) But when it comes down to it, who cares?

Brianlynch, are you reading this?

15 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Youngling #2 said...

"I'm pickin' up good vibrations / She's givin' me excitations / Good, good, good, good vibrations"

The Beach Boys ahd it and they didn't even know it. They may be talkin' 'bout a lady, but that's about as positive as it gets sometimes. Further:

"I don't know where but she sends me there."

Where? Higher consiousness? Humongous invisible thought ocean? I think so...

Peace

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like somebody's got a case of the fridays

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my life I've been trying to get you kids to think happy thoughts and you made fun of me! I was right, you should have listened to me more. AM

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Jane Donuts said...

Mom, I always listened to you. I just didn't follow instructions.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

your mom reads your blog?!???

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only hippie, cool moms can read their kid's blogs!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i stopped reading after you said you bought something at urban outfitter. we are regressing i think. you need to start following the teachings i have previously laid out for you.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Born In The '70s

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger el Bow said...

All that means is that you sold your soul for a measly $2.50. At least Homer got a doughnut.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on Alvidar for weight loss, came across your blog...good info, you might find mine of interest alvidar,http://www.mailbag.ws/alvidar.htm

 
At 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Its a little to digest but will keep reading.
- www.blogger.com z
samsung ringtone
motorola ringtone
sony ericsson ringtone
nokia ringtone

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just stopping by to say hello

 

Post a Comment

<< Home